Wednesday, 9 October 2013

What I Wore (and Made) Wednesday - Fake Infinity Dress

I love the idea of infinity dresses, which are essentially a skirt with a couple of scarves attached. The scarves then get wrapped around your body in loads of ways to create lots of different looks. This version is so easy to wear because its a shift dress with in-built fitting.

I wore this dress to BritMums and I was ever so pleased when the woman manning the dressing up photobooth turned out to be a fashion student who was impressed with my hems.


This should have been the easiest sew ever, but my sewing machine was on the verge of breaking down and was playing up skipping stitches and breaking the thread. I spent hours cleaning it out and trying to fix it. I got it through to the end of this dress, but I had to call in a man to fix it afterwards. It turns out the timing had gone (no, I've no idea what that means, thats what fix-it men are for).

The pattern is Butterick B5606 and was lent to me by my friend Kathie at Hungry Sauce, which led to much confusion at BritMums when Jo from Slummy Single Mummy handed me her phone with a picture of Kathie holding a sandwich saying "Did you make this?". I didn't notice that Kathie was wearing her version of the dress in the picture and was bemused as to why Jo thought I'd made a sandwich for Kathie.


</>

20 comments:

  1. Such a gorgeous dress - how clever are you? Love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm rather pleased too!

      Delete
  2. Did you really make this?! It's amazing and you look gorgeous in it, I especially like the 4th one along :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did!! The 4th one along is the way I mostly wear it as its the easiest to tie

      Delete
  3. You look super-stylish! Love that it even makes a peplum at one point, so on trend ; )

    clever you, sewing machines slightly scare me, convinced I'll sew my finger at some point. Weirdly I'm quite happy on an overlocker though! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely if you can do an overlocker then a sewing machine is easy? Overlockers look terrifyingly complicated!

      Delete
  4. As always, I am in awe of your beautiful wardrobe. I am determined to get back to my sewing machine before Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! This a great one for a quick sew, the neck and arm holes required a bit of concentration, but other than that its just a seam up each side.

      Delete
  5. Such a lovely dress! I'm in awe that you made it yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, please don't be in awe though, it was a very simple pattern!

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't know where to start but I love the idea of making of my own clothes. You are far too talented :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never made clothes until a few years ago. I knew how to use my machine and could invent things like kids costumes, but I had no idea how to follow a pattern. I found someone locally who could give me lessons. She talked me through one dress and I've just learnt on my own from there

      Delete
  7. My favourite version is picture number 4, Mrs glamorous! I suspect this could also be adapted to make a fab maternity outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup - just tie it over the bump (not that I'm planning another bump!)

      Delete
  8. Oh wow! That is a gorgeous dress.It must be so satisfying making your own clothes.Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite bit is when someone compliments me on my outfit and I can say "Oh, its just a little something I ran up at the weekend!"

      Delete
  9. ahhh! this is the dress you wore to Britmums?? It's amazing! please start selling them so I can buy them xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...