Wednesday, 11 September 2013

What I Wore (and Made) Wednesday - Circular Skirt

I am so pleased with this skirt and I think the reason (apart from the miles of gorgeous fabric) has to be my discovery of French seams. I will never make an outfit again without them. If you are unused to home-sewn items they don't usually look as neat inside as shop bought clothing that has been overlocked. I was drooling over the overlockers in John Lewis the other day, but now I'm thinking twice.


Doing a French seam seems totally counterintuitive at first. This is because the wrong sides of the fabric need to be pinned together first and then a 6mm seam sewn, which means when you look at it halfway through it looks like the raw edges are on the outside. Only then are the right sides placed together and another 9mm seam stitched. This encloses the raw edges giving a perfect view inside and out.

The pattern for this skirt is Vogue V8882 and the fabric is Flea Market Fancy by Denyse Schmidt



16 comments:

  1. I love the skirt, hope you get some more summer weather to wear it some more! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but I think its going to be in the wardrobe until next year now!

      Delete
  2. I watched The Great British Sewing Bee avidly and I'm still all at sea with sewing terms...is a French seam the roly-poly one?

    It's a gorgeous flippy skirt and I love the fabric. Maybe we'll get a few days of sun yet and you can pluck it proudly from the wardrobe again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, no rolled seam is the one you use on chiffon. A french seam just hides the raw edges inside itself. I figured out how to do it by looking at the Great British Sewing Bee book.

      Delete
  3. You are far too clever with a needle and thread! Gorgeous color combo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, although I am still only learning

      Delete
  4. you are so clever!! I would love to see you open I shop, I would totally buy your designs! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could sew fast enough for a shop!!

      Delete
  5. Ooh that is a beautiful skirt! Love the material too. It moves so wonderfully too, I can quite picture you doing a bit of flamenco in it, with a rose between your teeth... I'm actually now wondering where I have stashed my miniature sewing machine, it might be time to get sewing again, it's been a while!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn you and your amazing sewing skills - I'm so jealous! It looks great though, and you'll be able to wear it all year round I reckon - woolly tights and boots and a nice jumper?

    ReplyDelete
  7. cute!!! I keep thinking about making myself some clothing maybe I'll start with something for my girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids clothes are a good place to start as you use less material and they don't have to be properly fitted - they'll grow into the eventually!

      Delete
  8. wow, I haven't done a French seam since school but this skirt would be a great excuse to revive a skill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even heard of them until Great British Sewing bee. I was taught sewing at school but nothing as fancy as a French seam

      Delete

Comments make my day..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...