Saturday, 28 September 2013

Strictly Come Dancing Glitterball Cake


There are important moments in a year; birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, weddings, births. Many of these we celebrate with cake. There is one more special moment in my year - the start of Strictly Come Dancing and why shouldn't that have a cake too?

I took ballroom and latin classes as a child but when I was lucky enough to dance with Brendan Cole last year I discovered I'd forgotten the lot! I went back to classes, but couldn't find a willing male partner, so Purple Mum and I looked like little old ladies at tea dances when all the men have died!!

I borrowed a hemisphere cake tin from my neighbour the Death Star baker and bought up the entire stock of edible glitter in Tesco (you can see a photo album of my shopping trip here). Its the first time I'd used a hemisphere cake tin and my first dilemma was how much cake mix to put in each tin. I know how much will work in my usual tins, but this is such a different shape I wasn't sure. I can now tell you a 3 egg mix is too much (there was a lot of swearing and oven cleaning). It was also really hard to get out of the tin despite it being well greased.

I used a sheet a pre-rolled regal ice which I cut into equal (ish) squares using a pizza wheel and a ruler, before spraying them silver with edible paint and then covering it with as much glitter as would stick, then adding a bit more for good luck! I used a coating of buttercream as glue to stick these in place.





Its not completely how I imagined it. The cake isn't perfectly round, the moment I put one on top of the bottom the bottom one sagged a bit. I wonder if something like Madeira cake would hold its shape better? I also think I needed some coarser glitter, but its still VERY Strictly.

I'm linking this up to Recipe of the week - click the pic to find more wonderful food!

Link up your recipe of the week

29 comments:

  1. I think Madeira cakes are better for this type of cake-but don't take my word for it!! Looks great x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to whip up a quick Madeira cake before I give back the cake tins and see whether it works

      Delete
  2. It's amazing. I'm a huge Strictly fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you were excellent already and now I discover you like Strictly!!

      Delete
  3. OMG that is GENIUS! If you would like, I'd love you to pop over and link this up with #recipeoftheweek. You can find it under 'Food' on my home menu. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant suggestion and I've done it now!

      Delete
    2. Yay. Thanks so much for linking up with #recipeoftheweek. I've Pinned and Stumbled this post. There's a new linky live now for this week. Please do pop over and join in :D

      Delete
  4. Well done you, I couldnt agree more, the start of SCD does deserve a fine and sparkly cake!
    It looks super!
    None of the dreaded 'disaaaarster' here for your make!!
    Wasnt it brilliant this weekend; two for the price of one!
    Keryn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it deserves at least a SEEEEVVVEEEEENN

      Delete
  5. wow! totes amaze- glitter- balls! love it i am off to pin it now x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks amazing but I would have liked to have seen you hang it from the ceiling and dance around it, taking bites out of it. Next time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could do that I'd be rich!

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful cake! A tip to help the lower layer sagging is to use cake cards and dowels. Buy a cake card (thinner than a cake board) in a circle just a little smaller than your layer, along with some plastic cake dowels. Poke the dowels / sticks into your lower cake (about 3 or 4 should do) and trim them level with the top. Cover with the cake card, then place your top layer on. It's like scaffolding for cakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tip - I shall pop off to the shops now!

      Delete
  8. Oh I love that, it looks fab

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is SO cool, well done you x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm liking this glitterball cake idea. When N's older and wants a football cake I shall convert this idea to a ball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would work - just make pentagons rather than squares. You can get the tin from Lakeland

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks! Got to love a bit of glitter

      Delete
  12. This looks so great! Hope it tasted good too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only someone could invent lickable computer screens then I would be able to share it with you all

      Delete

Comments make my day..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...