Monday, 5 August 2013

A Day with the Woodland Trust at Yeo Valley

bug hunting
Last week I was lucky enough to spend a wonderful day with my kids, other bloggers and their children at Yeo Valley to learn more about the Woodland Trust. As I've visited Yeo Valley twice before I was so excited to be able to share the experience with my children. After meeting in the Yeo Valley HQ for tea and smoothies we travelled over to Wills Barn, the farm's self-sustainable building which would be our base for the day.

The first lesson of the day was the history of the Mendips, where we all learnt that a certain dinosaur film should actually be called "Triassic Park" and Purple mum's Superkid showed off his superior reading abilities reading all the signs of the different era such as "Cretaceous". My daughter found some clover and realising that Les, our tour guide, was the man with all the knowledge she ran over to show him. It was a lovely sight as it showed me just how much confidence she has gained in her first year of school.

Les, the man in the know, answering questions


After that it was off into the woods for bug and leaf hunting. I was very disappointed in my bug hunting abilities, a few years ago when I was at university I would have picked up a rock or rummaged in some leaf litter and found all the mini beasts on my list, but I'm obviously out of the habit and found ziltch!

Woodlands are obviously very important to Yeo Valley as it helps them with their organic farming philosophy, so they've teamed up with the Woodland trust to offer a competition to win a tree via their yogurt pots. If you don't have the space to have the tree yourself you can donate it to create more woodland.


Lunch at Yeo Valley is always delicious; this time it was mega sausage rolls and couscous - followed, of course, by yogurt.

The sun was well and truly out as we headed out after lunch. One of my favourite moments of the day was seeing the gate to a field being opened and the kids being allowed to run free.


We soon rounded them up and took them back into the woods for a little bit of den building (for aliens). I don't think and alien would have been able to get into ours as my daughter was so concerned with them having a comfy bed she filled the entire thing, right to the ceiling, with moss.


Back at HQ, there was cake, ice cream and more yogurt (they really know how to be the best hosts!) and the kids were signed up to be members of the Woodland Trust, with an activity pack bursting with ideas for the rest of our summer. I absolutely adore my days here; knowledgeable hosts, great company, fantastic food and amazing views. What more could you ask for?

Disclaimer: I was given this tour, my kids Woodland Trust membership and a goody bag of yogurt. All opinions, as always, are my own.










6 comments:

  1. Lovely post and pics of a lovely day. Great to have finally met you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. like you one of my favourite moments, asides form the food hee hee, was seeing the children run off down that field! those views were just stunning too! Lovely to see you even if i should have made a better effort to just go and ask you if you were who i thought you were xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a fabulous time! Isn't it great to let the little ones run around without fear of roads..?
    Loving Les' flat cap too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a proper country gent is Les!

      Delete

Comments make my day..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...