Saturday, 27 July 2013

The Book No Parent Should Be Without...

...what could it be? Gina Ford? Supernanny? Dr Spock (or Mr Spock, can never remember which one is the childcare expert and which one is a Vulcan)? No its none of these, its Cute and Easy Costumes for Kids.


Its amazing how many costume parties kids get invited to. I'm lucky that if I wanted to I could follow a full pattern, but for kids costumes that they will hardly wear before they grow out of them I want something quick and easy.

What I love about Cute and Easy Costumes for Kids is that most of their ideas are based around items of clothing you might already own. I made my daughter a cat costume that was built around a black T-shirt and black leggings. All I needed to make were a tail, head and neck bib. This means that this costume also fits me (obviously I need to wear my own leggings) so no chance of her growing out of it and me having to make another bigger version.

I adapted the cat pattern to make a dalmatian
The costumes in this book are also easily adaptable. My daughter was invited to a 101 Dalmatians party, but it didn't matter that there was no dog costume in the book - I just made a spotty cat with longer ears (in fact I made 2 more for other children going to the same party).

A lot of the patterns use felt or knit fabrics like fake fur which won't fray, which means no hemming and a lot of the patterns could be conceivably hand sewn. It might be easy to work with but I do hate fake fur, it sheds like crazy when being cut - it looked like a canine slasher movie has been filmed in my house after making 3 costumes on the trot.

Hopefully when that letter comes home from school in my daughter's book bag giving me 24 hours notice of another dress up day at school this book will at least give me the inspiration needed to make something quickly.

Disclaimer: I was not given anything in return for this review. Just a very happy customer



9 comments:

  1. That is one fabulous Dalmatian costume - I love that she can't grow out of it either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its brilliant - she can have it forever

      Delete
  2. This sounds brilliant for whenever you need a quick costume - even for me at school. Thank-you for sharing, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its always last minute with school so you need to be prepared

      Delete
  3. wow what a great dalmation she makes! it sounds like a great book i am thinking i may need something like this soon for the outfits i will need to make Burton when he starts school! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If his school is anything like ours you will! This year we've had animal day, world book day, Shakespeare day, a nativity play, a summer play and a caribean carnival - of course that doesn't include all the other reasons that the kids want to dress up - like this dalmation party

      Delete
  4. Aw gorgeous! Will have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...