Monday, 1 July 2013

Gromit Unleashed

Today is the start of a wonderful ten weeks for us in Bristol. Ten weeks of Gromit hunting. In aid of Bristol Children's hospital eighty 5 foot tall Gromit sculptures have been placed around the city, each one painted by an artist or celebrity. I can't wait to see the ones by Axel Scheffler and Quentin Blake - but yesterday we went to see some that had already been set up ready for the official launch today and saw another I was excited about - the Pixar designed "Gromit Lightyear".

Two years ago a similar trail, WOW Gorillas, raised £427,300 for gorilla conservation and the Wallace and Gromit Grand Appeal for Bristol Children's hospital. This time Gromit is doing all the work himself. I hope they can do wonders at the auction this year because the trail is just as exciting as last time. 

Two years ago we saw 57 out of the 61 gorillas (some we just couldn't reach on public transport), with the kids being a bit bigger it might be easier to travel further afield - I even think we can get to London Paddington to see the one there. Maybe we'll manage all 80.

Here are just a few pictures of the ones we saw yesterday:


If you want to join in an app "Detect-o-Gromit" is available for both iPhones and android and old fashioned paper maps are available in various locations throughout the city.

12 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to do this! My school bought one of the Gorillas and I hope they get there hands on a Gromit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW your school must be loaded!! I was watching the live feed of the auction with a look of amazement. I'm assuming they didn't pay the £23K for Gorisambard

      Delete
  2. We are going to do this too. Such a fun idea and I love all the fun and colourful designs! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking through our photos from WOW Gorillas 2 years ago, so funny seeing how the kids have changed

      Delete
  3. I saw this on the news, it is such a wonderful idea and sooooo cool!! Makes me want to move to Bristol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well its a lovely place to visit!

      Delete
  4. Saw this on the news and thought you would be liking these, as my eldest is a Wallace and Gromit fan I think a trip to Bristol might be in order soon. I think they all look brilliant!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them - I'm itching to get out hunting again. Debating whether it would be too much to go after school

      Delete
  5. We've got our map and are looking forward to Gromit spotting over the summer, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fab idea and perfect free entertainment for the littles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know Bex, I don't think I'll have to pay for anything this summer holiday!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...