Sunday, 23 June 2013

"Pinspired" To Have Another Go At A Craft I Loved #CBias


I've always loved crafting; one of my major childhood memories is sitting on a stool at the kitchen work surface making things. I remember trying my hand at all sorts; I have the fondest memories of making marzipan fruit from the leftovers after my mum had iced the Christmas cake.

One thing that I'd loved, but completely forgotten about until I was reminded by Pinterest (I've heard its called being "Pinspired") was quilling. Presumably a dangerous pin is "pinadvisable", a dull pin is "pinane" and all those pictures of toned abs are a "pincentive" if you have the "pinclination". Sorry, I've put the dictionary down now.

The thing that really caught my eye on Pinterest was quilled letters so I popped into Bristol to visit Craft  & More because I knew they had a massive range and would be the most likely place to find my supplies. They would make a lovely gift for a newborn, but before I commit myself to making one as a gift I'd better have a practise go - and where better to start than the start of the alphabet (also picked it because A is mainly straight lines, but lets just say I'm working alphabetically).

My new kit
Quilling is the art of curling thing strips of paper into a spiral and then adding folds to make leaf and tear drop shapes. Its not a craft that requires a lot of kit; a quilling tool, pre-cut strips, glue and something to glue it onto is all you need.

I really like my new quilling tool (goodness knows where my childhood one is) as it has a pointy end as well as the end for curling the paper. It makes it a lot easier having the pointy end - I don't think I would have been able to make the letter outline without it.

The hard bit is done..
To make the outside of the letter I chose a font I liked in Word and blew it up to the right size - I then traced it right off the screen (I was very careful and didn't apply any pressure, but don't tell my husband I drew on the screen, its just between you and me OK?).

I then transferred this letter onto the card. Now comes the hard part. Using a cocktail stick I applied a thin line of glue along one edge of the letter and using the quilling tool's pointy end I bent and folded a strip of paper so it sat edge on along the glue. After holding it for a few seconds to stick it, I moved slowly onto the next section of the letter.


Once the outline was done it all felt very familiar and the process of filling the middle was very enjoyable. I wasn't going for accuracy on my first attempt in over 20 years, so I didn't do anything symmetrical, I just curled and pinched in whatever way felt right for the area I was trying to fill. Now I'm back in the swing of things I'll watch some YouTube tutorials and see what wonders I can achieve.


If you'd like to see my shopping trip in Bristol's Craft & More you can visit my google+ album.



21 comments:

  1. Oh well done! I am *exactly* the same about quilling, childhood and Pinterest. I'd love to have a go again but have been too scared to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it, the outline bit was hard, but the rest came right back to me

      Delete
  2. It looks really good, and would make a great gift :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now need someone to have a baby so I can make them one!

      Delete
  3. Really effective

    (and always impressed by people's hand-eye co-ordination skills!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, at least I am co-ordinated in some way!

      Delete
  4. It's gorgeous! I'm not sure if I could find my childhood quilling kit either but I'm going to have to have a little dig around as two little girls really need their initials on the wall. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I think its very important to do that!

      Delete
  5. Ohhh it's gorgeous. I've never done quilling but looks fun to have a go at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its good fun and the sort of thing that's good to teach the kids to do as they can produce quite good results

      Delete
  6. Oh I love this, it's going to look gorgeous in a frame x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I must get a frame before it gets dusty - it would be impossible to clean

      Delete
  7. I remember quilling at school, not thought about it since, must give it a go. Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lets bring it back and make it popular again - quilling is the new rock n roll

      Delete
  8. I used to do it a bit as well - my mum found an old card I'd made her when she was clearing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From all the responses I'm thinking that quilling was huge in the 80s/90s

      Delete
  9. Love this idea - I am definitely going to try it - thanks for sharing with us U.S. crafters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, I'm glad everyone is having a go!

      Delete
  10. Love this idea - I am definitely going to try it - thanks for sharing with us U.S. crafters

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...