Sunday, 10 March 2013

Spring Cupcakes

So, Spring is here! Well according to the Met Office it is; they say Spring starts on the 1st March. According to my thermostat Spring has not yet sprung. I do however have one crocus blooming in my lawn, so maybe its time to celebrate the end of winter. After a trip to the WHSmiths craft section where I found these lovely petal cupcake cases and some other cake baking goodies I decided to force Spring on the inside of my house, even if its not warming up outside yet.

my favourite thing - new crafting supplies

I'm not very good at piping yet, but I do like experimenting to see what I can achieve, so I purchased leaf and drop flower nozzles. I thought these would go quite well with the cake cases. To hide the bits where its gone a bit wrong add some more spring feeling I found some lovely sugar butterflies. I also thought I'd try some piping bag ties as no matter how well I twist the bag I always seem to get covered in icing coming out of the wrong end - and they were brilliant.



Its surprisingly easy to pipe leaves



I have a new favourite piping nozzle (yes, I am aware that's a bit of an odd thing to have). The drop flower nozzle gives amazing results - just look at the cake in the top right of the pictures above, it looks like a rose. I was also very pleased with the leaves I made, I'm going to have to do a floral cake again soon.


I was slightly disappointed with the cake cases; they didn't quite fit my muffin tin, so a couple of them folded in on themselves, which made them very hard to ice. I don't know if the cases are too big, or my muffin tin too small, but I've never had this problem before.

Whilst looking at YouTube videos for the correct technique for my new nozzles I stumbled across someone making buttercream roses and discovered that to do that I need a "flower nail", oh dear, more shopping, woe is me! 

If you'd like to see my Google+ story of my shopping trip click here.

Disclaimer: I am a member of the Collective Bias Social Fabric® Community. This content has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias® #CBias #SocialFabric. All opinions are my own.





Follow on Bloglovin

12 comments:

  1. They look great! Wish my cupcakes would turn out like that x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they would with that nozzle - I'd never used it before and they came out like that first time

      Delete
  2. These look delicious! I'm off to find a flower nossle as love that one, I always make a right mess when piping-haven't quite got the hang of doing it yet! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think three hands might be needed when piping!

      Delete
  3. Mmm these look rather yummy. Love the leaf effect as well as the flowers, very Spring like. Had no idea that WHSmith sold baking bits, learn something every day :-)

    Enjoy more nozzle shopping ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its a very new thing. I was amazed at how the craft section of my local WHsmiths had changed since I was last in there

      Delete
  4. I love Wilton products and you did a great job with those cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Wilton too, and they are getting a bit easier to find in the UK. I had a terrible time getting hold of their Candy eyeballs 18 months ago when I did our Octonauts birthday party http://knittymummy.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/my-children-are-both-obsessed-with.html but more and more of their range is making its way here.

      Delete
  5. I love those cases, shame they didn't quite fit the tin. Who would've thought that WHSmith would sell Wilton cake accessories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They fit my other tin better, maybe my tin is a little smaller than standard and I don't normally notice because normally they don't have sticky up bits. It was a surprise when I walked into Smiths and saw the Wilton stuff. I love Wilton

      Delete
  6. Those are so pretty, I'll have to look for those and try as I am useless at icing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do, mine came out like that first try, so I think it must be a very forgiving nozzle

      Delete

Comments make my day..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...