Monday, 4 March 2013

Pinterest Challenge - Displaying My Kids Artwork

I adore my kids artwork, who could fail to smile at this little man?



But I also like to have my grownup space; the kids stuff dominates the house when they are awake, so when they are in bed I like to reclaim the house for us.

Because of this I didn't just want to blu-tac their pictures to the wall, or put them on the fridge. I wanted to put them in frames like I would if it was any other piece of art I bought (look at me, claiming that I buy art!). But faffing around with frames when the kids bring home a new masterpiece every other day is a pain in the neck. At first I bought these white frames (as seen on Dragon's Den) where the picture slides in, but they are expensive and only suit A4. Then I saw a clever idea by Apartment Therapy on Pinterest.


They had removed the glass and backing from the frame, then placed strips of magnetic tape down each side. The picture could then be sandwiched between these magnets and another layer of magnetic tape (this time without the backing removed). It means the pictures take just seconds to change.

My take on the magnetic frames
I found some garish, gold, ornate frames reduced to £1 in Ikea. I spray painted them black to match the colour scheme in my dining room and added magnets.

picture shelves
I also found these great picture shelves in Ikea, which means no messing around trying to get the frames back on hooks and I'm not limited to a picture being landscape or portrait as I would be if I had created a wall of pictures hung on hooks.

In amongst the frames I also have 2 floating frames, where the picture is sandwiched between 2 layers of glass and you see the wall behind (you can see it with the picture of the dolphin) - great for odd shaped pictures (although we haven't got any up at the moment).

I'm linking this up to the PinAddict's Pinterest Challenge. If you want to see more do visit them

354a94a3ed7df0f8a3dfb0152930b4fc

10 comments:

  1. We display them all over the house but the main place is in a unit that we bought to house the TV, books, bits and pieces and that has doors especially designed to display whatever you want, from wallpaper to photos or, in our case, your toddler's best art. She loves it, it makes her very proud. It's from Ikea.

    We wanted those shelves you have but they were out of stock the two times we tried to get them at our Ikea, can you believe it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can believe they were out of stock - its always the one thing you go for that isn't in

      Delete
  2. That's a really great idea. My 3 year old daughter has recently started prolifically producing art and I don't want to shut it all away in a scrapbook - especially seeing as some of them would have to be cut down.

    My friend has also just recently had some of her daughter's work digitally transferred onto canvas, which I thought was lovely for the occasional standout piece.

    Love the arrangement on the shelf - and our living/dining room is also a very similar colour scheme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've bought a scanner so if anything is worth keeping long term I can just scan it into the computer. I might make a photobook soon

      Delete
  3. I really like this. My grandmother has recently embroidered my childhood drawings onto cushions. They are gorgeous - intedned for me but my mother has taken possession!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a lovely idea. I might do that with that cute little man so I can see him every day

      Delete
  4. I love the layout on the shelves - great idea with the magnets too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magnets make it so quick to change that I actually bother to do it!

      Delete
  5. They look fab laid out like that in the frames. I have a stash of the kiddies artwork from over the years and must get them sorted somehow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've bought a scanner to make an archive - thats another blog post coming soon

      Delete

Comments make my day..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...