Wednesday, 13 February 2013

Drawing and Colouring Carousel

Our art cupboard (as you might imagine) is full to the rafters. I don't mind getting out the boxes when we are all going to sit down to craft, but I was getting really fed up of having get out the pens every day for drawing. It got even more annoying when the set of felt tips I'd found weren't the exact felt tips that the kids wanted - back into the cupboard I went, again and again.

Something had to be done. I thought about regular pen pots, but they had 2 faults 1) they aren't big enough for our huge collection of drawing implements and 2) if my son wants a red felt tip you can guarantee that it will be on my daughter's side of the table. So I came up with this:


It's made from 13 Ikea Prydlig pen pots (£3 each) superglued onto a lazy Susan (£5.50) also from Ikea. 

I couldn't find the Lazy Susan on my Ikea visit, so I found a staff member to ask. Problem was she was Spanish - and I assume from the look on her face that the term Lazy Susan isn't something they teach in English lessons!! Does anyone know the Spanish for Lazy Susan? Uno Susana vago?


12 comments:

  1. what a brilliant idea, and you could make a budget one by gluing plastic picnic cups on instead,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I wouldn't use disposable ones as they won't last, but any similar sized cup would work as long as the base has enough surface area to glue (I looked at some that had a very thin lip which is whyI chose these ones)

      Delete
  2. the lazy susan is a great idea; but a fishing tackle box is very useful for storing art supplies of different sizes, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we have all sorts of things to store our craft supplies in. My favourite are the plastic boxes that washing machine tabs come in. As they are clear plastic you can see what it is inside and the lids lock shut

      Delete
  3. Great idea - I see a trip to IKEA coming on!! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a truly fantabulous idea. Patent it immediately! It would certainly help in our house where they'd almost definitely want the pen the other one was using. Do they not go crazy and spin it so fast that the pens come flying out?...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has only been one pen flying incident - and it was me who did it!! I was trying to spin it fast so I'd have more time to take the spinning shots above and I got a little carried away!

      Delete
  5. That's such a good idea! I am definitely going to steal it for when Bob is older! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. It would be perfect to use out on the table when they are all using the art supplies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its practically a permanent centrepiece on our dining table!

      Delete

Comments make my day..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...