Thursday, 1 November 2012

Pinterest Challenge - Tooth Fairy Door

This is one of the first ever things I pinned on Pinterest, something I knew I would get around to at some point - I thought I had ages to get it done (after all my daughter is only just 5) - but we have our first wobbly tooth so this little project has suddenly become urgent.

My inspiration - from apartmenttherapy.com


As soon as I saw this idea I knew it would be magical for my daughter and could become a lovely family tradition. I love the idea of the tooth fairy needing a tiny door to get into the kids bedrooms. There are lots of different ideas for tooth fairy doors on Pinterest; mainly rustic, tree stump sort of doors, but it was these proper front door style ones that caught my imagination. Living in a Victorian house I love that the tooth fairy's door looks just like ours.

I bought a 1:12 scale dolls house door with matching knocker and door handle. The door frame is designed to sandwich the walls of a doll house, so I first filled the gap between both sides of the frame with balsa wood then painted the door and glued on the brass work. I chose a blue door because 1) its my daughters favourite colour 2) its the same colour as our front door and 3) its TARDIS blue - and who doesn't love that!

Its always sunny in fairyland





Originally I thought it would just open onto a plain bit of wall, but I was rather inspired by the blog header of Jennifer's Little World so created a little magical kingdom for the fairy to live in. I'm so glad I did it, its lovely to open the door and see this little secret world.

I'm not sure who is more enchanted, my daughter, or me!









Head over to the PinAddicts page for more Pinterest Challenges.

32 comments:

  1. Oh my word, that is beyond amazing! A friend had told me about little elves doors you could buy - my girl had a thing for elves after doing the Shoemaker story at school - but this is just sooo much better. I love the detail and am quite envious that you have a traditional front door. Ours was replaced with a PVC way back :( one of many things I want to restore. Great make, LOVE it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours is a PVC one, but it looks traditional. I want to replace it though as the kids can get out and I can't put a spy hole or chain on it for security when answering the door.

      Delete
  2. I literally love this idea, and you have done it beautifully. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I love this idea. I have thought of making a little 'Tooth Fairy' cushion for my boy when he is older. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking I might do a cushion for my son - I'm not sure how much he would go for a door

      Delete
  4. That is so sweet! Sadly, my 6yo daughter, who has already lost seven teeth, has been brainwashed by her big brothers. So the tooth fairy doesn't exist in our house :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad, big brothers are horrible!

      Delete
  5. That is a lovely idea. We are decorating my daughter's room soon and I might just have to incorporate one somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do, my daughter is loving it - she keeps opening the door and peering in

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love this and so would my girls! I especially love the background you put in! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, its been such a hit I think I'm going to be getting a few requests for them from friends

      Delete
  7. That is great! You should sell them!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the response I'm getting I'm beginning to think I should!

      Delete
  8. What a fantastic, cute idea!!!! I love that you have matching front doors too :) You should totally sell these! Thanks so much for linking up this month xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if we lived in a rustic cottage a rustic fairy door would work, but we don't we live in a Victorian house - why would the tooth fairy's door be different from ours?

      Delete
  9. What a fab idea. Might have to make one of those. My daughter would love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do, I think all little girls need one

      Delete
  10. That is so cute! Absolutely gorgeous. Thank you for making me smile :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a magical idea! We are about to swap the kids around and redecorate so this is now on the list for my 3 year old who asked for a rainbow bedroom....I think this little door could be at the end of the rainbow!

    My 2 girls have asked for an adjoining tunnel or mini door between their 2 bedrooms....one door next to another may be?

    Great idea...thanks x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the rainbow idea, how wonderful.

      Delete
  12. That is so cool! I wish I'd done it when GG was small enough to love it as much. I fear now that she has lost 8 of them I'll never find the motivation...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That probably is a bit late to start - you'll have to hope you've got a good memory and remember it when you have Grandchildren!

      Delete
  13. I really love the background when you open the door. Really nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, now I have to figure out how to make a fairy land for boys!

      Delete
  14. I love this! A little bit of magic , truly :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My daughter is just about to loose her 6th tooth (she's not even 6 yet, the tooth fairy is broke) and everytime the fairy comes she is terribly forgetful and leaves the door open

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is absolutely precious! I love how you can open the door. Most of the ones I have come across do not open once on the wall. Can you share where you purchased it?

    Thanks!
    Irene

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...